Many people have asked me, “Sue, where do you get all of your creative ideas.” Usually I just slough it off and say that I am just a brilliant creative genius or, I just sit down to write and the ideas just float into my head. One tenth of one percent of what I have just written is true.
The OTHER (Let’s see…carry the 4, subtract 2 add then divide by 100), is usually just staring at the computer screen for a bazillion minutes until I finally find an old Art Buchwald article from the 60’s I figure no one has REMEMBERED.
Just to give you an idea of HOW I come up with an idea, let me show you what usually happens. The following is the % of time I spend on each thingy before I actually get a creative idea.
- 1. Stare at computer screen—35%
- 2. Get up to pee—2%
- 3. File fingernails—2%
- 4. Get a snack to eat—5%
- 5. Watch YouTube clips of funny drunks—3%
- 6. Trying to remember why I write humor blogs anyway—10%
- 7. Get another snack…I NEED the creative juices flowing don’t I—3%
- 8. Get up to pee again…NO I’m NOT pregnant—2%
- 9. Try and beat my high score in Donkey Kong—20%
10. Trying to make sure the %’s here add up to 100%–2%
11. Reading first draft and completely starting over—10%
12. Finding Art Buchwald’s article from the 80’s and rewrite it—6%
As you can see it’s NOT an easy process. Hell, I don’t even KNOW if the above actually even totals 100%. But, then again, math was never my strong suit, English was. The IMPORTANT thing to take away from all of this is that no matter WHAT your routine, have a SNACK. Hey, it can’t hurt right?